Monday, March 17, 2008

a perfect day for chuckus





Ever since mid-January, I've been pretty much addicted to hitting up the ski mountain. The work hard/play hard lifestyle of the locals in Montana that make their home close to the lifts fits me to a T. With one or two exceptions, the ski mountains in Montana are nothing like what I assumed ski mountains were like. I (ignorantly) always thought ski mountains were playgrounds for the wealthy, and that in some way, all of them were akin to Aspen or Vail or Sun Valley or whatever. But that's just not how it is out here. Out here each mountain has its own flavor, but the general attitude is unpretentious, laid back, friendly, helpful, and happy. And you don't go broke!!!

These pictures are representative of my new "perfect day." Its gettin up early, hoppin a lift that takes you up a little closer to heaven, taking it in, getting some fresh air, getting a great workout on the slopes, taking breaks in the lodge with Jami, and finishing the day with a cold, local brew. This is basically what I've been up to on the weekends...

More specifically, these pictures represent the fact that I had a portable digital camera for the first time ever on the mountain...Why? Because Kiley came!! We took her to Red Lodge, and I must say it was so awesome to have a partner in crime on the mountain again!! I haven't since Krista came up, and we had our bruise-fest on the local hill. Kiley was impressive on the slopes, and as soon as she took a couple of warm up runs after not having skied for 14 months, we hit the signature run at Red Lodge called the Lazy M, that boasts a length of 2.5 miles.

I could talk forever about Red Lodge and what a cool town it is. We had an awesome time together. Jami got to hang out in a town that charms her soul, and make some friends in the lodge while listening to live music. Kiley and I got to ski to our hearts content, and we were even blessed with a little March snow on Saturday night that made for some awesome first of the day runs on Sunday morning. Kiley got to eat a giant birthday chocalate chip cookie thing that was absurd and decadent (she has a bit of a sweet tooth). I had the best pizza pie I've had in years (locals dip the soft, hand tossed crust in honey up here---weird, but good). And all this was done on a budget.

Thanks Red Lodge!

No comments: